Michael Lee, composer
Michael Lee is an active composer, and instructor of composition, theory, and musicianship.
Contrasting Visions for Orchestra
Michael Lee’s orchestral work Amped was recently performed by the Albany Symphony and Thornton Symphony
- Finalist, Intimacy of Creativity, selected out of 130 submissions from 30 countries - Invited to attend workshop and seminars in Hong Kong
- Ensemble Demitasse will perform Songs for Children in Oregon on April 6th and 8th(?), 2018 - April 6th and/or 8th at the Oregon State University Memorial Union & The Art Center in Corvallis, OR
- Ensemble Demitasse performs Michael’s new work for guitar and piano on September 9, 2017 - Where: Irvine Museum Gallery of Art 1961 Irvine Blvd., Tustin, California When: 7PM, September 9th
- Sonata for Guitar “Australia” written for guitarist, Vladimir Gorbach (2018-19) - Check out Vladimir Gorbach’s performance of a work by Piazzolla/ https://youtu.be/86PEjCZXUX4 / My most recent work, Guitar Sonata no. 2 “Australia”, was written for Vladimir Gorbach: it is a multi-movement work, each movement abstractly or programmatically based on a unique animal or theme found in Australia.
- New York Virtuoso Singers Commission May 20th at 6:30-7:30 (Manhattan, NYC) - My work, Come what may, for guitar (to be performed by Cameron O’Conor) and choir will be premiered and conducted by Maestro Rosenbaum by this exciting group on May 20th at 6:30-7:30 at the St. Ignatius of Antioch, 87th and West End Avenue in the big apple.
- 2017 Hear Now! music Festival - My string quartet Farewell… will be given its west coast premiere by Hear Now! on April 28th, 2017 at 8PM at Throop Hall (300 S. Los Robles Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91101). Please come to the Electro-acoustic concert in collaboration with P.I.E on April 29th (8PM) and 30th (5PM) at 815 Venice Blvd. in Venice. Composers... Read more »
- RED NOTE new music festival March 27-30, 2017 composition workshop, performances, and lectures with Sydney Hodkinson - Michael’s new work written for Loadbang will be premiered at this festival hosted by the Illinois State University: Guest Composer: Sydney Hodkinson, distinguished guest composer Guest Artists: Del Sol String Quartet, and loadbang Faculty: Martha Horst, Roy Magnuson, Carl Schimmel Participant Information: Nicholas Landrum, Indiana University Daniel Harrison, University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music... Read more »
- Duo for Sax and Guitar to be premiered by Cameron O’Connor and Erik Steighner on Seattle’s 98.1 FM in February 2017 TBD -
- 10/27/16 – ‘Unmasked’ for guitar to be performed at noon recital at The LA City College - Cameron O’Connor, guitar
- Michael’s “Farewell…” for string quartet was released this month under the Navano Recording Label - This work is on the BETWEEN THE ECHOES album alongside other exciting contemporary works. PARMA gave me a nice review: “Elsewhere, tradition is gleefully thrown to the wind—such as with Lee’s stunning Farewell… for string quartet, with its ever-shifting rhythms, timbres, and moods.” Got a pretty critical review from infodad.com, but both were constructive. If... Read more »