Michael Lee, composer
Michael Lee is an active composer, and teacher of composition, theory, musicianship, and digital composition/arranging.
Contrasting Visions (2011-12) for Orchestra
Amped was premiered in 2014
1 of 3 works selected in the Albany Symphony’s 2015 Call for Scores
- Ghost Break Dance for Violin and Cello (’19) (commissioned by Ensemble ARI) to be performed on Friends of Chamber Music Concert Series; See below for more details- Ghost Break Dance for Violin (Jiwon Kwark) and Cello (Sarah Hong) will be premiered on the Friends of Chamber Music Concert Series along with works by Haydn and Stravinsky (Petrushka). Knowing that Petrushka would be on the program when performed/premiered in September of 2019 by Ensemble ARI, I wanted the story and rhythmic elements of... Read more »
- Echoes for Piano and Strings and New Orleans Chamber Orchestra – 2020?- Both parts (first part “At the Edge of Darkness” was premiered by NOCO in 2018) will most likely be premiered in the Summer of 2020 by the New Orleans Chamber Orchestra. More info to be announced soon.
- Ghost Break Dance for Violin and Cello to be performed on September 28th in Los Altos, CA- Ensemble ARI (director/composer, Jean Ahn) will perform Ghost Break Dance for violin (Jiwon Kwark) and cello (Sarah Hong) in Los Altos, CA this September 28th. www.albanyconsort.com/musicinlosaltos/ 9/28/2019 @ Saturday 7PM @ Venue will be announced soon! Thanks. Ghost Break Dance for Violin (Jiwon Kwark) and Cello (Sarah Hong) will be premiered on the Friends of... Read more »
- Brahms Meets The West @ Art Share L.A. Theater – New Works for Piano, Violin, Cello, Guitar by West Coast Composers- June 8, 2019- Jiwon Kwark (vln.), Sarah Hong (vlc.), Sharon Lee Kim (pno.) (members of Ensemble ARI) and classical guitarist, Cameron O’Connor, will perform 21st century works by Michael Lee (west coast premiere of Echoes for Piano Trio), Jean Ahn, Cameron O’Connor, and 19th century work by Brahms (Piano Trio in Cm). The program will also include V.... Read more »
- My Second Sonata “Australia” (’18) written for guitarist, Vladimir Gorbach- Accomplished virtuoso Guitarist, and Professor at the Sydney Conservatory. Check out his website: http://www.vladimirgorbach.com/
- Tuesday, August 14, 7:30pm – Michael Lee’s Amped with the Arapahoe Philharmonic- The orchestra will rehearse/read the three finalists’ compositions on Tuesday, August 14, 7:30pm, at South Suburban Christian Church in Littleton, Colorado. This event is free.
- Unmasked for Classical Guitar (1st Mvt.) performed by guitarist/composer, Smaro Gregoriadou, in 2019- Here’s Art Artistry’s video of Smaro performing the first movement of Unmasked! Hope you enjoy: ttps://youtu.be/m0VI9iRfJ4Q For more information on the guitarist, please check out her website at http://www.smarogregoriadou.com/
- ABLAZE Records Release of 9th Millennial Masters CD to be released Spring 2019- My first solo work for classical guitar will be on the ABLAZE Records Millennial Masters Vol. 9 in 2019 Unmasked was written in 2015-16.
- On June 15, 2018, my new work will be premiered by the New Orleans Chamber Orchestra- As winner of the 2018 NOCO and Spectri Sonori Composition Competition, my new work will be premiered by the New Orleans Chamber Orchestra and conductor, Phillip Larroque at the Marigny Opera House on June 15th, 8PM. Please check out the NOCO or the Marigny Opera House for tickets and info.
- Winner of the 2018 ICC “The Contemporary Guitar” Composition Competition- My composition will be recorded and performed along with two other winning works by distinguished composer and guitarist, Smaro Gregoriadou. Live performance will be uploaded onto YouTube in 2018 or 19.